When to See an Immunologist?
Allergies are the 6th leading cause of chronic illness in the U.S. For instance, only Asthma affects more than 24 million people in the U.S., including more than 6 million children. If you feel like you’re always getting sick, with a cough or head congestion, it’s time to see an allergist or immunologist. To improve the health of your immune system and better understand what is causing your symptoms, come to Piniella Asthma + Allergy Center. Contact us today or visit us online to book an appointment. We have convenient locations to serve you in Coral Gables FL and Palmetto Bay FL.
Table of Contents:
Immunology is the study of the immune system and the methods that the immune system uses to fight off foreign pathogens such as bacteria and viruses, as well as other proteins that the immune system mistakes as invaders. Immunologists specialize in the immune system, how to improve its health, as well as the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of immune system-related conditions. One of the main things immunologists treat is allergies, and they dedicate a lot of their time to diagnosing and preventing allergic symptoms and triggers.
An immunologist is a doctor who specializes in the immune system and the diseases that can affect it, such as allergies, autoimmune disorders, and infections. Immunologists study how the body defends itself against illness and disease, and they work with patients to help them improve their immune health and mitigate allergies. Common conditions immunologists treat include:
Respiratory diseases that affect the lungs and breathing, such as:
• Occupational lung disease
• Allergic rhinitis
• Eosinophilic esophagitis
Eye diseases, such as:
• Hay fever
• Allergic conjunctivitis
Skin diseases like:
• Contact dermatitis
• Urticaria, or hives
Severe reactions to:
• Insect bites
• Gastrointestinal disorders
Autoimmune diseases like:
• Multiple sclerosis
• Primary immunodeficiency diseases
• Auto-inflammatory syndromes
The immune system is the collection of cells and organs that protects the body from infection and disease. The immune system includes white blood cells, which fight infection, and organs like the lungs and skin, which help defend against pathogens in the environment. Also included in the immune system are glands such as the thyroid and parathyroid, which produce hormones that help regulate immune function. Immunologists can perform a number of different tests to determine a person’s immune system health, including:
• Blood testing, to detect and measure possible allergens in the blood
• Patch testing, or placing a patch containing the allergen on the skin
• Pulmonary (lung) function testing, to evaluate how the lungs work
• Skin testing, which involves using needles to prick the skin and then placing an allergen on the scratched surface
• A nasal smear, or swabbing of the inside of the nose
The immune system is a complex combination of organs, cells, and chemicals that protect the body from substances or microbes that pose a threat to one’s health. Disorders of the immune system, including allergies, need to be addressed by an immunologist. People who experience frequent illness or allergic reactions should consult with an immunologist, as this is a sign that the immune system is not working properly. Through testing and diagnosis, immunologists can find and treat diseases right away, allowing people to reclaim their health and prevent further damage to their bodies.
The benefits of visiting an immunologist include:
• Allergy Testing — Allergy testing can help diagnose a wide range of allergic conditions, from food allergies to airborne allergens.
• Prevention Education — The most effective approach to treating asthma or allergies is to avoid the factors that trigger the condition in the first place, an important part of an immunology visit.
• Immunotherapy — One of the most efficacious treatments for allergies is immunotherapy, which can effectively eliminate many allergic conditions.
• Improvement in Immune Health — Visiting an immunologist is a key component of improving immune health.
To improve the health of your immune system and better understand what is causing your symptoms, come to Piniella Asthma + Allergy. Call us today to book an appointment with our immunologist, or visit one of our two Florida locations: we have one clinic in Coral Gables and one in Palmetto Bay. We look forward to serving you! We serve patients from Coral Gables FL, Palmetto Bay FL, Westchester FL, Brownsville FL, Kendall FL, Pinecrest FL, Richmond West FL, and Goulds FL.