Allergy Clinic in Coral Gables & Palmetto Bay FL
At Piniella Asthma + Allergy, we are treating both adults and children with allergies, asthma, and immunologic disorders. Contact us for more information or schedule an appointment online! We have convenient locations to serve you in Coral Gables FL and Palmetto Bay FL.
Table of Contents:
An allergist, also known as an allergy specialist, is a type of doctor that specializes in diagnosing and treating allergies. They use a combination of techniques and knowledge to diagnose and manage their patient’s allergies, and can greatly improve their quality of life. Allergists work closely with patients to identify the source of their allergic symptoms and then provide customized medical management for these conditions, which often involves lifestyle changes like avoidance of triggers.
Common causes of allergies include:
• Airborne Allergens — Airborne allergens are what often come to mind when people think of allergies. These tiny particles can irritate the eyes, nose, mouth, and respiratory tract, causing symptoms in these areas. Common airborne allergens include:
• Dust mites
• Food — Allergies to food are, in most cases, more serious than airborne allergies as it often involves a higher quantity of the allergen as well as a longer duration than it is in the body. Food allergies can be life-threatening if they produce anaphylaxis, a system-wide state of shock that requires immediate medical attention. Almost all food allergens are proteins, including:
• Tree nuts (almonds, walnuts, and hazelnuts)
• Pets — Allergies to pets with fur are common; it is not specifically the fur that causes the reaction, but the skin flakes in their fur, known as dander.
• Latex — Obtained from the protein in the sap of the Brazilian rubber tree, latex is a naturally derived rubber product. Latex is in many everyday products, such as balloons, rubber bands, and bandages; if someone is allergic to latex, coming into contact with any natural rubber products can produce an allergic reaction.
• Insect Stings — Insect stings are another common culprit of allergic reactions and occur due to the venom excreted from their stingers. This type of allergic reaction can also cause anaphylaxis, so people with this allergy must take precautionary measures to avoid getting stung, especially in the warm summer months. Stinging insects that can cause reactions include:
• Fire ants
• Medications — Certain medications can also be allergens. In some cases, an allergic reaction from a medication may be mistaken for an adverse reaction; the reverse is also true, which further supports the importance of allergy testing. Common culprits include:
• Antibiotics (specifically penicillin and amoxicillin)
• Sulfa antibiotics
• Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (aspirin and ibuprofen)
• Chemotherapy medications
An allergy clinic is a medical facility that specializes in treating allergic conditions, from mild symptoms to severe reactions. The staff at an allergy clinic are experienced in the diagnosis and treatment of allergies and allergy-related conditions, such as asthma and hay fever. They are able to provide the most current and advanced allergy treatments available, including immunotherapy and allergy shots. Allergists are also able to provide other allergy-related services, such as testing for food allergies, testing for environmental allergies, and testing for mold sensitivity.
People may go to an allergy clinic for a number of different reasons, including:
• Allergies are causing symptoms such as:
• Chronic sinus infections
• Nasal congestion
• Difficulty breathing
• Allergy symptoms occur several months a year
• Medications do not control allergy symptoms
• Symptoms are interfering with everyday tasks
• Allergies negatively affect the quality of life
Seeing an allergist is very beneficial. They can help people diagnose the cause of their allergies and implement a treatment plan that appropriately addresses all of their concerns. They can also help patients learn ways to prevent allergic triggers in the future, such as which foods to avoid, what environmental conditions to stay away from, and how to improve the quality of air in their homes.
The board-certified allergists at Piniella Asthma + Allergy can help you get your allergies under control so you can fully enjoy life. Call us today to book an appointment with our allergist; we have two locations to better serve you: one in Coral Gables, FL, and one in Palmetto Bay, FL. We look forward to serving you! We serve patients from Coral Gables FL, Palmetto Bay FL, Miami FL, Westchester FL, Brownsville FL, Kendall FL, Pinecrest FL, Richmond West FL, and Goulds FL.